Monday, May 12, 2008

The Bottle Tree

I am the proud owner of a bottle tree. I have been wanting one for years. Yes, it gets some looks from those who may question its viability as art, but it IS true Southern folk art, is very useful, and has a good story to go along with it.
My bottle tree was a gift from my sister. I was deathly ill with strep throat and unable to go to the Trade Days at Tannehill State Park. A tragedy! Trade Days deserve a post all to themselves - suffice it to say that it's a flea market, antiques show, and farmer's market all in one. I know you feel my grief. She did too, and brought me this bottle tree, made of iron rod and re-bar by a Mr. W. L. Franks from Hattiesburg, Mississippi. Mr. Franks is a true artist. The lines of the tree are fluid and graceful, and it is balanced perfectly. The strongest winds have not been able to blow it over. He also is not above giving "Purty Girl Discounts" for a hug. Marcella got the Purty Girl Discount. Selling herself for art, oh my.
I've had a good time finding bottles for it. I need some red ones, and I've got a bottle of Riesling in the fridge waiting to be drunk up so I can have a blue one. Most of my bottles are fairly old, from junk stores, and were pretty nasty when I bought them.

So what IS a bottle tree for?

To catch evil spirits, of course.

The bottle tree was thought to have been brought to the South by slaves from North Africa. They are most popular down through the Black Belt area of Alabama and Southern Mississippi, though now you'll see them all over the place. The effectiveness of the bottle tree is based upon the fact that evil spirits are notoriously nosey beings. They just can't pass up anything out of the ordinary. So, you put your bottle tree beside your door. When the spirits are attempting to find their way into the house, they will be distracted by the shiny, colorful bottles, slip inside them, and get trapped. They are smart enough to get into the bottles, but not smart enough to get out. There they remain all night, and then the first rays of the morning sun will burn them away to nothing.

If only it would work as well on uninvited guests and people selling stuff I don't want.

7 comments:

Special P said...

What lovely stories -- the roses and the bottle tree. I see the bottle trees all the time, but never knew the meaning (my Southern self is ashamed). Ryan, of course, has and remembers collecting blue glass Milk of Magnesia bottles to decorate their tree. - Ann Marie

Cindy said...

I wish I had some Milk of Magnesia bottles! Blue is hard to find.

ginger said...

Nice bottle tree! I just invited you to join the Bottle Tree group on Flickr and bring this pic. My two bottle trees are made from neighbors' old Christmas trees!
--Ginger (www.deepfriedkudzu.com)

Cindy said...

Thanks Ginger - I love your blog!

Shininglight said...

The bottle tree is a true Southern tradition....just like peanuts and Coke or Fancy Pears! :)

Yours is beautiful, Cindy. Don't be surprised to see a bottle in the mail sometime from this Yankee... :)

Shininglight said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy said...

Hey Noreene! I'd love to have a Yankee bottle on my tree! I'm going to have to blog about fancy pears too..........;~)

All content © Cindy Armstrong. Please do not use content without permission. That's not nice.