Friday, May 30, 2008

Happy 90th Birthday, Miss Kathryn!

On June 2nd, the finest storyteller in Alabama, maybe in the world, turns 90. Kathryn Tucker Windham has been a part of my reading life since, well, since I learned to read. Her ghost story books about Alabama were the most highly sought-after tomes in the Green Valley Elementary School library. She knows more about the folklore of our fair state than probably anybody still walking around, and if you ever get the chance to hear her live, GO. She will celebrate her birthday in downtown Selma, AL this Sunday at 2:oo with the world's largest comb orchestra (hopefully). Yes, I said comb, like you comb your hair with. I will not be able to go, but I'll be there in spirit. Combs and wax paper will be provided free for all who would like to play. There's going to be a director and everything!

Find out more about this remarkable lady at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Tucker_Windham
but don't stop there - READ READ READ!

2 comments:

ginger said...

Aw, I just nearly went to Selma on Sunday! Wouldn't that have been fun?

BTW, they have a small write-up of it on the Selma T-J website!

Cindy said...

I wanted to go so bad, but I had a prior commitment. Going down for the Black Belt Treasures Folk Festival on June 28th!

All content © Cindy Armstrong. Please do not use content without permission. That's not nice.